Thursday, 10 September 2009

In Limbo Land

I'm finding it difficult to do or concentrate on much today. Bruce is still very slightly lame on his off-fore and I'm really anxious about it! He seemed to have been steadily improving and so we thought it was a minor strain which was resolving with rest but one month on we need a firm diagnosis. He looks sound in walk but is lame in trot. Last night Hannah physio/chiro came out and could find nothing to explain his lameness. So today I left a message for the vet who came to see Bruce to ring me - Mike and I now want a diagnosis before we agree to any other treatment. If necessary we'll ask for Bruce to be referred to Newmarket.

So Zeffy and Captain were neglected this morning. Just breakfast and out. I may ride Zeffy later. Captain has been looking so good recently that I've been thinking about riding him again - just walking round the farm - we'd both enjoy that!

For HorseofCourse, The Self-Correcting Circle exercise in Charles de Kunffy's words:

In working towards ambidexterity, it will also be necessary to work the horse on circle to the right. (Note from me - this assumes left-handed crookedness)Now the horse will always want to fall in or cut to the right but by doing so he will self correct himself. Once the horse has spiralled in to the smallest possible circle that his conformation allows, the right hind leg wants to cross under as in a leg yield, will have to step forward eventually and support the body, shoulder and rib-cage weight. Don't allow the horse to make you as crooked as he is. Wigh a good, deap seat, make him as ambidextrous as you are.

1. As you circle, maintain your leg aids: right leg contact near the girth, outside leg back, as always. Take the right rein contact and toally yield the left forward to give the horse no support. Let the horse spiral or fall onto his own self correcting devices. As the right circle gets smaller and smaller, his right hind leg will support his weight by stepping toward the right foreleg instead of crossing over.

2. Next he will voluntarily inflate his circle and move on an ever larger spiral outward. The rider can assist by riding a leg yield out and encouraging the horse to arrive from the small circle to the large circle, and then he will no longer be cutting in or leaning on the right shoulder.


This is our main exercise at the moment and when Zeffy engages his right hind leg I can feel a shift under my seat to the right. I'm not following it to the letter. At the moment I'm keeping my legs off him as much as possible so as not to aid the natural lateral evasion of the Iberian - he scoots sideways at the slightest tension in my legs. I'm also not giving the left rein completely forward but keeping a forward contact with my left shoulder also slightly forward.

4 comments:

Danni said...

Goodness, another one lame, and it's the off fore! You're so right to want to get him referred if need be.

I hope it's something simple and fixable. Fingers crossed for Big Brucie, I do hope it's nothing too horrid.

The exercise sounds...interesting. I'm off to mull it over. Shame I haven't a sound-but-crooked horse to try it on *lol*

Claire said...

"Don't allow the horse to make you as crooked as he is. Wigh a good, deap seat, make him as ambidextrous as you are"

this assumes the rider is ambidextrous, of course, LOL.

shame about bruce ... sounds not totally dissimilar to molly. pants isn't it.

Cabruze said...

Lol Claire! Yes, those words could put you off!! Fortunately I've got Patrice to police my equitation!

HorseOfCourse said...

Thanks for the explanation, Cabruze!
As Danni, I will have to mull it over and play around with it.
Fame is not ambidextrous (neither am I, lol!) but it is more a subtle crookedness than it was as a youngster. Always nice with some new input.
I cross my fingers and wish you good luck with the vet check!